Northlink WA - Stage 1 (Southern Section)
Client: John Holland Group / IC Energy
Duration: June 2016 to June 2018
QTM team(s): QTM Electrical
Services: Temporary traffic signal installation / Install & modify traffic signals, Optic fibre works, network integration, VDS installations, CCTV installations, Help phone installations
John Holland worked in partnership with Main Roads WA to deliver construction upgrades to Tonkin Highway, from Guildford Road to Reid Highway, with new bridged interchanges at the intersections of Collier Road and Morley Drive, a flyover at Benara Road. QTM was engaged to install temporary intersections at Benara Road / Tonkin Highway three separate occasions, Morley Drive / Tonkin Highway once and Collier Road / Tonkin Highway twice, to allow construction works to take place.
IC Energy engaged QTM for a range of electrical installations, in summary:
- Installed three new sets of traffic signals – Tonkin Highway / Collier Road (SPUI), Collier Road / Wright Street, Collier Road / Grey Street / Jackson Street and modified Collier Road / Beechboro Road;
- Installed fourteen Vehicle Detector Stations;
- Installed eight CCTV cameras for MRWA monitoring;
- Installed five webcams for the public to view from the MRWA website to plan their routes around traffic congestion (Main Roads WA Travel Map);
- Installed eight Help Phones;
- Integrated all assets onto MRWA’s network.
The NorthLink WA project has a long-term vision to cater for the traffic volumes associated with a future Perth population of 3.5 million and will provide a vital, state of the art transport link between Morley and Muchea. It will reduce travel times and congestion, and provide significant productivity benefits to the economy, industry, motorists and local communities.
The $1.02 billion NorthLink WA includes a new 37 km highway built between Tonkin Highway, Reid Highway and Muchea and will link to Gateway WA, servicing regional traffic movements to commercial and industrial areas such as Malaga, Kewdale, Perth Airport and the Perth CBD.
Watch this animation to get a better picture of the Southern Section works, from Guildford Road to Reid Highway:
Construction of the Morley Drive Interchange using temporary traffic signals:
For more news and information about the NorthLink WA project, visit the Main Roads WA website at MainRoad-WA_NorthLink